Percy Farms is looking to recruit an experienced shepherd and stockperson to work alongside our existing team in the management of the Estate’s 1,400 lowland ewes and suckler herd within Hulne Park at Alnwick.
Competitive salary and conditions including accommodation on offer with the role.
Full job description below. Queries and applications to Susan Richardson, HR Manager
Phone: 01665 510777
Closing date for applications: 31st July 2018
Full Job Description
Shepherd and Stocksperson
Percy Farms. Park Farm. Alnwick.
Northumberland Estates manages and operates a number of significant and diverse farming businesses in Northumberland and the Scottish Borders.
Park Farm, situated in Hulne Park, Alnwick, extends to approximately 1,800 acres and is stocked with a lowland flock of 1050 Romney x ewes, 400 Lairg type North Country Cheviot ewes and 45 suckler cows and followers. The farm is managed under Higher Level Stewardship Schemes which currently form the basis of the management policy.
The retiring shepherd will be available during the transition phase to assist in familiarisation with the holding and system currently in operation.
The successful applicant will be expected to manage to a budget in conjunction with external consultants, however will be accountable to the Estate’s Land Agent, who is based at Alnwick.
The shepherd will be expected to operate the holding on a day to day basis and duties will include:
- Day to day stock management on the holding including all stock management tasks required
- Implementation and monitoring of cross compliance requirements under the basic payment scheme
- Liaising with the Estates Office Accounts Department, Agricultural Manager, Health and Safety Officer and External Agricultural Consultants as required
- Implementation and monitoring of the farming policy and financial budget on the farm
- Stock purchases and sales throughout the year
- All relevant record keeping including movement records, spray application records and medicine books
- Purchase of inputs and invoice processing for payment through the Estates Office
- Management of contract staff as required including fencers and shepherds
- Management of health and safety on the holding including arrangement of machine and vehicle servicing/maintenance in accordance with best practice
- Any other duties as required by the Northumberland Estates or associated businesses
- Compliance with environmental stewardship requirements and assisting with scheme delivery
The successful candidate will occupy a property on the Estate and the position following a probationary period is permanent.
The successful candidate will be an exceptional self starter with excellent communication skills and with a strong background in a similar business. We are looking for an individual who is prepared to work autonomously on a day to day basis, but deliver on communication with managers and the Estate Office.
- Full UK driving licence
- Livestock knowledge attained from practical experience of a farming system of this type
- Full experience in all flock and stock tasks necessary for a holding of this type
- A team of capable sheep dogs
- Quad bike and tractor experience though training will be provided if necessary
- Enthusiasm and a self-starter attitude
- Ability to make decisions and operate independently on a day to day basis
- Ability to work and live in a rural environment
- Knowledge and understanding of budgets, statutory and record keeping requirements for a farming business of this type
- Physically fit to cope with the demands of the role and location of the farm
- Ability to multi-task and organise self and others
- IT skills
- Staff management skills
- PA1, PA2 and PA6 spray certificates
- Local knowledge
- Fencing experience
- Maintenance/mechanical skills